Frisco Commercial Vehicle Accident Lawyer
Experienced Commercial Vehicle Accident Lawyer In Frisco, TX
Commercial vehicles are a common sight on the roads of Texas and throughout the United States. Unfortunately, these vehicles are involved in numerous accidents every day. If you or someone you love has been injured in a commercial vehicle accident, you understand the profound impact it can have on your life. From costly medical bills to lengthy recovery periods and missed work, serious injuries can wreak havoc.
Those responsible for these accidents, including commercial vehicle drivers and companies, should be held accountable for the harm they cause. That’s where an experienced Frisco commercial vehicle accident lawyer comes in. At JML Injury Law, we are prepared to stand up and fight for you. Our team is dedicated to assisting families across Texas in achieving financial recovery from injuries caused by the negligence of commercial vehicles, their employing companies, and others. To schedule a free consultation with a skilled Texas commercial vehicle accident attorney, call (214) 764-3600 or contact us online.
Common Types Of Commercial Vehicles
The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) defines a commercial vehicle as any motor vehicle used for transporting goods or passengers. Such vehicles have a gross weight of 10,001 pounds or more or they are designed or used to transport more than eight passengers for compensation, or more than 15 passengers without compensation. Additionally, any vehicle that transports hazardous goods is also considered a commercial vehicle. Some common examples of commercial vehicles frequently seen on Texas roadways include:
- Box Trucks
- Bucket Trucks
- Dump Trucks
- Flatbed Trucks
- Garbage Trucks
- Grapple Trucks
- Heavy Equipment used for Mining, Construction, and Farming
- Refrigerator Trucks
- Tow Trucks
- Travel Trailers over 10,000 pounds
The rising number of commercial vehicles on our roadways, along with the increase in vehicle miles traveled by CMVs, has resulted in a corresponding rise in collisions, injuries, and fatalities involving these vehicles, as noted by the Centers for Disease Control (CDC).
At JML Injury Law, our commercial vehicle accident lawyer in Frisco, TX is acutely aware of this surge in crashes. That’s why we are fully prepared to vigorously represent our clients, employing a determined approach to achieving favorable outcomes for those who have been injured in accidents involving these negligent vehicles.
Common Causes Of Commercial Vehicle Accidents In Texas
At JML Injury Law, we witness a wide range of factors that contribute to commercial vehicle accidents. We understand that each of these factors can lead to severe injuries for individuals in smaller vehicles. The most prevalent causes of commercial vehicle accidents encompass the following:
- Fatigue while driving: Drivers often spend long periods on the road, neglecting federally mandated rest breaks. Even when following hours-of-service regulations, drivers can still become drowsy, increasing the risk of accidents caused by driver fatigue.
- Distraction while driving: Any activity that diverts a driver’s attention from the road can contribute to distracted driving. This includes talking on the phone, texting, using a navigation system, eating, daydreaming, or any other action that takes the driver’s eyes or mind off the task of driving.
- Failure to brake in a timely manner: Some commercial vehicles are large and require a longer distance to come to a safe stop due to their weight and cargo. Fatigued or distracted drivers may fail to react promptly to traffic slowdowns or red lights.
- Excessive speeding: High speed is a significant factor in motor vehicle accidents, including those involving commercial vehicles. Higher speeds require more distance for a commercial vehicle to come to a stop.
- Driving too fast for conditions: In certain situations, the designated speed limit might not be suitable. Adverse weather conditions, heavy traffic, and slippery roads may require commercial vehicle drivers to reduce their speed for safe operation. Regardless of the speed limit, drivers of commercial vehicles should adjust their speed according to the prevailing conditions.
- Following too closely: Commercial vehicle drivers often fail to maintain a safe distance from the vehicle in front of them. Tailgating and driving too closely make it challenging to brake safely and increase the risk of rear-end collisions.
- Aggressive driving: Aggressive drivers pose a danger to all road users. When commercial vehicle drivers display aggressive behavior, they significantly increase the potential for causing accidents and harm.
- Equipment malfunction: Equipment failures, such as brakes and tires, are common causes of commercial vehicle accidents. A malfunctioning piece of equipment can lead to an accident, and the manufacturer or brake manufacturer may be held responsible for injuries sustained by accident victims.
- Wide turns: Due to their broader turning radius, commercial vehicles can cause significant damage. If a driver fails to consider other vehicles before making a turn, it can result in severe accidents and injuries.
- Improper lane changes: Commercial vehicles attempting sudden lane changes may fail to notice vehicles in their blind spots, resulting in significant harm to passenger vehicles and other motorists on the road.
Compensation Available For Texas Commercial Vehicle Accidents
Depending on the size of the vehicles and the force of the crash, injuries in commercial vehicle accidents can be severe. Regardless of the extent of your injuries, you shouldn’t bear the financial burden of the collision alone.
Our Frisco commercial vehicle accident attorney will conduct a thorough investigation to assess the impact the accident has had on your life and your family. With this understanding, we develop a strategic approach to pursue the compensation that you and your loved ones rightfully deserve. You may be entitled to recover damages for various losses, including:
- Medical expenses
- Lost income
- Pain and suffering
- Disfigurement and scarring
- Diminished ability to work
- Impairment and disability
- Emotional anguish
- Loss of consortium
In the unfortunate event that your loved one has lost their life in an accident involving a bus, taxi, rideshare vehicle, or any other commercial transport, JML Injury Law is here to assist your family in seeking rightful compensation through a wrongful death lawsuit. You and your loved ones may be eligible to receive compensation for various damages, including:
- The cost of funeral services
- The cost of burial or cremation
- The loss of income your loved one provided
- The loss of household services and support provided by your loved one
- Loss of consortium and parental guidance
In cases of commercial vehicle accidents resulting in injury or wrongful death, you may also be entitled to receive exemplary damages. This form of compensation is not based on your economic or non-economic losses but is awarded to serve as a deterrent and hold the defendant or defendants accountable for their severe negligence or misconduct.
Texas Commercial Vehicle Accident Statistics
In 2018 alone, 4,951 people were killed in some type of large truck crash according to the National Safety Council. Out of the total number of fatalities, occupants in other vehicles accounted for 71%, followed by 18% being truck occupants, and 11% being bicyclists or pedestrians. It is worth noting that 74% of fatal truck accidents took place on non-interstate roads, with 57% occurring in rural areas.
While large commercial vehicles account for only 4% of vehicles on the road, they are unfortunately involved in 13% of all traffic fatalities. In collisions between a large commercial vehicle and a passenger vehicle, occupants of the car comprise 96% of the fatalities, as reported by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration. Disturbingly, there were approximately 150,000 large truck accidents in 2018 alone that resulted in injuries.
Texas leads the nation for fatal truck accidents. In 2017, there were 649 fatalities in crashes involving large trucks and buses in Texas. California follows Texas with 361 fatalities. While statistics primarily focus on commercial trucks and buses, it’s worth noting that accidents involving other commercial vehicles are also prevalent in Texas. For instance, in 2008, solid waste vehicles were involved in 103 fatalities and caused 1,453 injuries to third parties, as reported by the NSWMA. These incidents often occurred during backing up, rear-end collisions or intersection accidents.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Should I Do If I’m Involved in a Commercial Truck Accident?
In the unfortunate event of an accident, having the assistance of an expert is crucial. A professional Frisco commercial vehicle accident lawyer can thoroughly investigate the scene on your behalf, ensuring that you receive the compensation you rightfully deserve. Handling the legal aspects of an injury claim can be complex, and without proper representation, your chances of a fair outcome may be diminished. This is why the support of a personal injury attorney can make all the difference.
At JML Injury Law, we are dedicated to providing you with the help you need. Rest assured that our team will handle all the legal work and investigations, allowing you the time and space to focus on your healing process. With our extensive experience and training, you can trust that countless individuals have successfully obtained the compensation they deserve with our assistance.
Who Can Be Held Liable For A Commercial Vehicle Accident In Texas?
Similar to Texas 18-wheeler collisions, liability for the crash and resulting damages can extend to various parties involved. These may include the driver of the commercial vehicle, their employer, the operating company, the staffing agency, the leasing agency, or even another third party.
Furthermore, the vehicle manufacturer, maintenance contractor, loading company, or a combination of these entities might also be held accountable. In some cases, there could be numerous other parties with potential liability. While determining liability in commercial vehicle collisions can be increasingly complex, our personal injury law firm is well-equipped to handle these intricacies with expertise and diligence.
Should I Accept A Settlement With The Commercial Vehicle Company?
Before accepting a settlement offer from a company, it is crucial to consult with a credible Frisco commercial vehicle accident lawyer to discuss the terms. Each case is unique, so we always recommend that potential clients contact JML Injury Law to thoroughly review the specifics of their claim. While most commercial vehicle accident injury cases result in a settlement, it’s important to note that these settlements are typically the result of careful negotiations conducted by a skilled attorney.
Contact Our Frisco Commercial Vehicle Accident Lawyer Now
If you’re in need of an experienced Frisco commercial vehicle accident lawyer, look no further than JML Injury Law. We operate solely on a contingency basis, meaning you won’t have to pay anything until your case is won. This ensures that you won’t have any out-of-pocket expenses. What’s more, our commercial vehicle accident attorney has a proven track record of successfully handling cases and holding negligent commercial car and truck operators accountable for the accidents they cause. Contact our office now at (214) 764-3600 for a free consultation and to learn more about how we can help.