Frisco Drunk Driving Accident Lawyer
Drunk Driving Accident Lawyer In Frisco, TX
No one ever wishes to find themselves in an accident, especially one that could have been avoided if the other driver had not chosen to drink and drive. However, accidents do occur, and if you happen to be involved in a drunk driving accident in Texas, it’s important to know that you have legal options. An experienced drunk driving accident lawyer in Frisco, TX can assist you in reclaiming your life after such a senseless act.
Should you become the victim of a drunk driver, JML Injury Law will fight to ensure that you receive full compensation for your pain and suffering. While justice can be sought through penalties such as jail time, DWI charges, license suspensions, and community service, these consequences do not aid in the recovery of accident victims. Drunk driving accidents in Texas can bring about physical pain and mental anguish, which is why we strive to ensure that our clients are rightfully compensated, allowing them to embark on their journey towards recovery. Contact our personal injury team at JML Injury Law (214) 764-3600 for a free consultation and to discover how we can assist you further.
Understanding Drunk Driving Accident Liability In Texas
Texas takes driving under the influence very seriously. If a driver causes an accident while intoxicated, they may face criminal charges. However, criminal charges alone do not provide compensation for the victims of drunk driving accidents.
Similar to other car accidents, victims of DWI/DUI accidents have the option to sue the driver, their insurance company, and sometimes even the establishment that served alcohol to the driver. To ensure that you receive proper compensation for your expenses and suffering, it is crucial to seek the assistance of a skilled and professional Frisco drunk driver accident lawyer. At JML Injury Law, we will work diligently to hold the responsible parties accountable and secure the damages you rightfully deserve.
- Driving While Intoxicated: In Texas, it is against the law for motorists to operate a motor vehicle or boat with a blood alcohol concentration of .08% or higher, or while under the influence of drugs. Additionally, Texas has implemented “zero tolerance” laws that make it illegal for drivers under the age of 21 to drive with any amount of alcohol in their system. If you have been involved in a drunk driving accident in Texas, it is crucial to seek the assistance of a skilled DWI accident attorney in the greater DFW area who can protect your rights and represent you in court.
- Dram Shop Liability: Typically, there is another party involved in cases where a visibly intoxicated patron, guest, or minor is over-served and subsequently allowed to operate a motor vehicle. This party can be a bar, restaurant, or even a private individual. Texas, through its Dram Shop Liability laws, permits the injured victim to hold these parties accountable for their actions. These laws allow for the assessment of liability on the part of those responsible for over-serving and failing to prevent the intoxicated individual from driving.
- Road Hazards: In certain situations, road hazards can potentially amplify the impact of an accident. In these exceptional scenarios, the injured individual may have the opportunity to establish partial liability on the part of the state of Texas for their injuries.
Recoverable Damages In Drunk Driving Accident Lawsuits
In Texas, a drunk driving lawsuit aims to determine a just amount of compensation to cover your current and future expenses, lost wages, trauma, and emotional suffering. Our drunk driving accident lawyer in Frisco, TX can assist you in receiving compensation for different types of damages, such as:
- Medical Expenses: Medical expenses encompass various costs such as doctor visits, ambulance rides, prescription drugs, medical equipment, and physical therapy. In the unfortunate event that you require continuous care due to injuries sustained in a drunk driving accident, you have the right to seek compensation for the anticipated treatment expenses.
- Lost Wages: If you were unable to work due to being struck by a drunk driver, you have the right to seek compensation for the income you would have earned. Additionally, you may also have grounds for legal action if your absence from work results in negative consequences such as termination, missed promotions, or reduced hours.
- Pain and suffering: Being involved in an accident caused by a drunk driver can be a deeply traumatic experience, with lasting emotional and mental repercussions. It is important to recognize that you may be entitled to seek financial compensation for the emotional distress endured by you and your loved ones, as well as the impact on your quality of life. This can include damages for loss of consortium, as well as compensation for the significant challenges associated with living with permanent scarring or disfigurement.
- Exemplary or Punitive Damages: We may also seek punitive damages on your behalf. These damages are intended to punish the party at fault for their negligent or reckless behavior of driving while under the influence.
What To Do After Being Hit By A Drunk Driver
The top priority is to promptly address your physical injuries. Seek medical attention at a hospital, emergency room, or consult your personal physician. Once your medical injuries are properly treated, you can then explore the option of requesting our assistance in filing a lawsuit against the intoxicated driver.
7 Steps To Take If You Were Hit By A Drunk Driver
- Call the Police: In the unfortunate event of being involved in an accident with a driver under the influence, it is crucial to prioritize your safety as well as the safety of other motorists. Take immediate action by contacting emergency services at 911 and informing them of the occurrence of an accident involving a suspected drunk driver.
- Gather Complete Documentation: Capture photos from all conceivable angles. Document your account of the accident particulars, including the actions of the intoxicated driver. Gather contact information from any witnesses.
- Take Care of Your Injuries: If you sustain any medical injuries, it is important to seek immediate medical attention either by going to the hospital or emergency room or consulting your personal physician. Once your immediate medical needs have been addressed, please reach out to our drunk driving accident lawyer in Frisco, TX so that we can discuss the best approach to handle your case.
- Prepare an Accident File: Keep copies of any police reports. Document all lost time from work and keep pay stubs, as well as paperwork from workers’ compensation and disability. Maintain thorough records of all doctor and medical appointments, while also documenting your out-of-pocket expenses. Additionally, make a note of your personal well-being and the impact your injuries have on your family. By doing so, you can effectively track and convey the full scope of your situation.
- Beware of Insurance Offers: If the insurance company representing the intoxicated driver reaches out to you, it is crucial not to accept any agreements without seeking professional legal advice. Kindly ask them to provide any offers in written form so that you can thoroughly review them with your legal consultant. This approach ensures clarity and allows for a comprehensive assessment of the situation.
- Seek Legal Representation: Get in touch with our experienced Frisco drunk driving accident attorney at JML Injury Law for a free consultation to devise the optimal strategy to secure the compensation you rightfully deserve. Remember to bring any relevant documentation, as our personal injury team will assess its viability for negotiation.
- Drunk Driving Accident Trial: In the event that we initiate a legal claim in Texas, we will diligently compile comprehensive documentation and testimony on your behalf. Our objective will be to establish the negligent actions of the intoxicated driver in operating a motor vehicle, hold any other involved parties accountable under dram shop liability, and effectively counter the defendant’s case. Ultimately, it will be the court’s responsibility to determine liability and award appropriate monetary damages.
The Rights Of Texas Drunk Driving Victims
Texas law grants rights to individuals who suffer injuries as a result of the negligence or misconduct of others. Every driver bears the legal responsibility to operate their vehicle in a reasonably safe manner, and driving under the influence certainly violates that obligation. When such a violation leads to harm inflicted upon others, the responsible driver is deemed negligent and held accountable for all resulting damages and injuries.
Nevertheless, as a victim of drunk driving, financial recovery is not automatic. Instead, accident victims must take proactive measures to pursue the compensation they require and deserve for their injuries. This process can be overwhelming for individuals already grappling with the physical and emotional toll of their injuries. It’s crucial to promptly seek the assistance of a skilled Frisco drunk driving accident lawyer following the situation. Our personal injury team can provide guidance on your rights as an injury victim, which may encompass the following:
- The right to file an insurance claim with the drunk driver’s auto insurance company
- The right to file a legal claim in civil court for personal injury
Possible Third-Party Liability After A DWI Accident
In certain situations, it’s not only the drunk driver who can be held responsible for injuries caused by a crash. According to Texas laws, providers of alcohol can also be held liable if they served alcohol to an intoxicated individual. These liable parties may include:
- Bars, restaurants, and other alcohol vendors that provide alcohol to children younger than 18
- Bars, restaurants, and other alcohol vendors that provide alcohol to people who are obviously so drunk that they present risks of harm to themselves and others
- Adults social hosts who provide alcohol to children younger than 18.
In such cases, the injuries must have been a foreseeable result of the person’s intoxication. Such “dram shop” claims are not always available, but an experienced drunk driving accident lawyer in Frisco, TX can identify when you can hold additional parties liable for your losses.
Contact Our Frisco Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers Now
While your insurance company may provide assistance in the aftermath of a collision with a drunk driver, it’s important to realize that they may not always offer the compensation you truly deserve. Tragic accidents like these can leave victims without adequate coverage to cover their injuries. Even if the negligent driver has insurance, it’s possible that the funds provided may not be sufficient to cover the entirety of your medical treatment and other expenses.
At JML Injury Law, our experienced Frisco drunk driving accident lawyer is committed to ensuring that you receive the rightful compensation for the injuries sustained in this collision. Reach out to us today for a free consultation and to learn more about how we can support you and your family during these challenging times.